Welcome Everyone

Welcome to my adventure... Hopefully you'll enjoy reading about my adventures half as much as I enjoy being in them. Here you'll find my blogs about everything I might have a conversation about. So if something doesn't seem to interest you skip to something that does. I am pretty random and eclectic so I am sure there is something for everyone.

Thursday 14 February 2008

Book Review: Irresistible Revolution

Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne

This book is a hit!! More than a hit. I've already started reading it a second time. I don't do that. EVER! I've tried and it sucked, but this, this is very different. The Irresistible Revolution talks about the Body of Christ (Church) and it's current course away from the "modern" expression of church and how Shane Claiborne and some of his friends are thriving on a path very different from ones taking left or right wing political agendas, from ones failing to recognize they are trapped in a materialistic world view far from the one Jesus and the early church would have embraced and far from a "greater good" agenda fueled by the myth of restorative violence and "Godly" wars.

In this book Shane describes the spiritual state of a growing number of people all over the world. These people are in situations where they feel alone standing between a crowd of unbelieving activists and inactive believers wondering where all the true Christians are at. This book is a bold declaration that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! Many Christians around the world find or have found themselves at this place and are now finding each other on a daily basis. The expressions of following Jesus when these people come together are unique, beautiful and admittedly imperfect. Shane talks about the groups of people he met and grew with known as The Simple Way and how they've collectively begun to express themselves as part of the body of Christ.

This book will inspire those who feel alone to seek out other Christians who feel the same way and begin navigating what it means to truly follow Christ. For those already in that navigating what it means to follow Christ Shane gives advice through the stories he tells in this book and talks about his views on some key issues and his response to them.

This book encourages me to, as Gandhi said "become the change I want to see" and provides me with many bits of wisdom and guidance on the path to following Jesus better.

This book has so impacted me I hope you all will read it. Over the next few weeks I as I reread the book I am going to pull some highlights from each chapter and present them in continuing blogs. Keep checking back if you are interested.

2 comments:

JordanPedde said...

I love that book. I have 2 copies and want to read it a second time but can't because i keep lending them both out.

Anonymous said...

Hey chris, I want to read this book. I havent read it yet but from that i will have to start soon.
I am reading a really great book called Tatooed Rats. It is by Jerry B. Jenkins. It is about being a Christian in 2012. If you get the chance, you should read it.

View Count