Welcome Everyone

Welcome to my adventure... Hopefully you'll enjoy reading about my adventures half as much as I enjoy being in them. Here you'll find my blogs about everything I might have a conversation about. So if something doesn't seem to interest you skip to something that does. I am pretty random and eclectic so I am sure there is something for everyone.

Tuesday 8 April 2008

A Favourite Poem of Mine

Here is an inspiring poem I would like to share with you all:

Ride a wild horse
with purple wings
striped yellow and black
except his head
which must be red

Ride a wild horse
against the sky -
hold tight to his wings
before you die

Whatever else
you leave undone
once...

Ride a wild horse,
into the sun.

Hanna Kahn

This poem inspires me. My wild horse seems so impossible. Yes it seems even more impossible then a wild horse with purple wings, striped black and yellow except for a red head.

Striped yellow and black? Is that not a caution warning? I wonder what that is for? Chasing dreams is dangerous for sure, but, isn't it better than simply existing? Just like another favourite piece of mine says!

A Man Said To The Universe
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

Steven Crane

Doesn't that strike you as one of the world's greatest truths? We aren't entitled to anything. What we do is who we become. If you work a job to make yourself money to buy cool things who inevitably becomes the center of your universe no matter what other great intentions you had to begin with.

If your job meanwhile is a means to come by resources with which to bless others you've made a giant leap forward. Everything we do should be motivated by love including our reason for earning $$. When motivated by love humans still make the occasional wrong decision but the heart is in the right place which keeps us alive, energetic, passionate and excited.

I believe there is a further goal we should have in mind though. What if your job was the means by which you bless others? I have come to the belief that there is no better place to be then using your profession to bless the rest of humanity. Whatever that profession may be. Journalist, Doctor, Janitor, Social Worker, Missionary (many of whom have other jobs as an outreach opportunity), Artist...... What are your gifts and passions and how could you use them in a professional manner to make yourself a livable income and bless humanity all at the same time?

I am currently in a job hunt in Toronto and these thoughts have been dominating my mind. Will I be fully alive working alone in any work environment? NO, I need people to be fully alive and to outreach to. Will I be fully alive if I am working a job that promotes further injustice on the world's poorest? NO I have seen the negative impact of the World's greed and I will whither inside if I support the beast that drives us.

So where do I go? There have been some major hopefuls for me. The YMCA, what a perfect opportunity to serve my community, make an income AND capitalize on many of my skills and passions all in the same workplace. Youth Hostels, how cool would it be to work in a place that houses so many Youth on their own journey discovering what they can about the world? I would be meeting many new international friends, making my chunk for living and I would have the opportunity to outreach to these people and the rest of Downtown Toronto. Black Market Clothing, BMC is a really kool second hand clothing operation you can find on Queen St in downtown TO. Their style may be a little edgier than I am, but, who is to say I couldn't use a little more humorous edge? I would be working with people who already don't trust the system as it is and are looking for the opportunity to change the ways things are. What a cool opportunity.

Anyway the world isn't perfect though. Maybe I will need to grab another less awesome job for a season in order to land one of these other full potential jobs. I'll make it though, Toronto is where my passion lies, I can't wait to get there and meet some more amazing people.

Dream big or go home guys. Ride that wild horse, it is stressful and dangerous but far far more rewarding!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck with your job search Chris! True words. :) I hope you have fun living downtown TO.

Andrea ;)

View Count