Welcome Everyone

Welcome to my adventure... Hopefully you'll enjoy reading about my adventures half as much as I enjoy being in them. Here you'll find my blogs about everything I might have a conversation about. So if something doesn't seem to interest you skip to something that does. I am pretty random and eclectic so I am sure there is something for everyone.

Thursday 5 July 2012

Vancouver Again!!


Vancouver, British Columbia. Wow. I love this place. Loved it when I first came here five years ago, loved it ever since. There really is something special about this city.

So many of the parts about this city I remember loving are the same. Commercial Drive remains the coolest stretch of storefronts, restaurants, bars and cafes that I've seen in North America. Hands down. East Hastings (yes the dangerous part) remains a place of need, but, a place filled with people I am comfortable with and love to help whenever I get the chance. The transit system works great and on a clear day, like today, there are mountains visible in every direction. SO COOL.

Upon first arriving at "the Drive" down near Broadview Station my mind was awakened with memories and stories from all kinds of places as I and my gracious host walked North to the comfy little bachelor I've been provided since Monday. Starting with Uncle Fatih's Pizza where I'd enjoyed many a slice as suggested by the local YWAMers who would regularly order from there and told stories of the quality and service provided. There was also Addis Cafe, a spectacular Ethiopian restaurant which was a frequent stop for the teams hosted by YWAM's "Mission Adventures" program which I was helping to facilitate that summer. On top of the restaurants were the many cafes of which I remember Continental Cafe the best because we once used it as a place to brief one of our Mission Adventures teams on why we love Vancouver.

Loving Vancouver was easy being surrounded by these people. They were ripe with excitement about the city they lived in. I learned from them the importance of loving our place, wherever that is and when I left to return to Toronto after that summer I was excited about learning how to love Toronto. 

Since returning to TO there's been lots of bumps and bruises. I've come to call Toronto home and have all sorts of places, stories and people who root me there, but also a lot of pain. The difficulties of having to quickly leave both YWAM and the Church I worked in after YWAM under "messy" circumstances has, with the many difficulties faced by my present community (Jeremiah Community) been draining on every level. Additionally, even with everything we've come through I look ahead and see a daunting task for those of us left in the JC as in some facets we seem to be back at square one of planting the community.  

So I've needed a break, and what a great place for a break. Sharing lunches with old friends and making new friends in the "Servants Vancouver" community has really been a beautiful compliment to the lonely wandering I've otherwise been doing here. A lonely wandering that has me thinking more clearly than I have in months and is getting me more excited for the hockey to start and more excited to return and make another go of finding and establishing home in Toronto. A home that is Christ centered, justice focused, loving and life giving. A home that is a catalyst for the Kingdom of God, a Kingdom coming yes but more importantly a Kingdom available now if only we would love God and love EVERYONE as he has loved us. 

Thanks to everyone who made it possible for me to come here. Thanks especially Mom, you are the best!

God Bless. 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Christopher, you have experienced so much already in your life. I am so excited to see where God is going to use you next. Keep up your great input and influence for others! Love Mom

View Count