Welcome Everyone

Welcome to my adventure... Hopefully you'll enjoy reading about my adventures half as much as I enjoy being in them. Here you'll find my blogs about everything I might have a conversation about. So if something doesn't seem to interest you skip to something that does. I am pretty random and eclectic so I am sure there is something for everyone.

Friday 14 March 2008

The Relevance of the Gospel

http://christianvisionproject.com/2008/02/an_efficient_gospel.html

This is a great article!! Not overly new to me, but, to a lot of people who aren't constantly surrounded by this kind of talk it should be a great read.

It talks about the irrelevance of a modern gospel in our post modern culture. The evidence of this shift is that conversation is sparked by the question "If you had just a few years left, what kind of life would you want to live?" instead of the traditional "if you died tomorrow where would you end up?"

Our diverse culture has heard and knows Jesus redeems, but, they also hear there are other routes to Heaven, see many Christians living non Christ like and see many non Christians living fairly Christ like. People aren't interested in whether Jesus can get them to Heaven when they die, they are interested in Jesus changing their life, and the world, starting now.

I my opinion one of the best ways to be a witness of Christ in our current young culture is to pursue God's justice in every area of your life. Intentionally contribute to developing non developed countries, live in eco friendly ways, share your excess instead of hoarding it, don't support sweat shops and blood coffee and value all life equally.

That last one is big. Value ALL life equally. Switch in human life for simplicity sake. Doesn't sound as good but needs to be there. What are the implications of valuing all human life equally? Here is a few that come to mind:
-One Canadian soldier is equal value to one American/British/Australian soldier
-Any one of the above is equal value to an Afghani/Iraqi civilian, militant, terrorist...
-A life begins at conception and doesn't end at birth.
Translated: don't ever judge anyone considering or who had an abortion unless you are willing to take the child in as your own, or start a foster care home, or something of the sort.
-A child who died from preventable causes (starvation, malaria, diarrhea, leprosy...) in a third world country is just as tragic as the most recent abducted child from your city.
note: there are over 3 million child deaths a year from malnutrition alone in developing countries. While I typed this line multiple children died worldwide from preventable causes. I bet none were from Western countries.

I could go on but it is bed time. Chew some of these thoughts. Think about it. If you had only a few years left what would you do? I hope I leave the world a lot closer to justice when I am dead. It sure isn't as close as I hope it to be now.

Good night folks. Sweet Dreams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey my name is D.O. and I recently posted a comment on your other post about Shane Claiborne telling you about Another World is Possible. Well I've just got one more thing I wanted to tell you about and then I'll leave you alone. The folks who made the AWIP DVD's are making a feature-length documentary called "The Ordinary Radicals." The film will address many of the negative stereotypes that are affiliated with present-day Christianity, and tell the stories of ordinary folks who are disproving these generalizations. People doing pretty amazing things, motivated by their faith. I think you should check it out. Interviews include folks like Shane Claiborne, Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, Becky Garrison, and a whole host of others. If you'd like to learn more or pre-order the DVD, check out the website at www.theordinaryradicals.com.

View Count